Saturday 11 October 2014

Layer One: Tentacles!

This blog will be primary for the work on my Visual Arts part of the first year here at University.
Almost every week, we are given a task to do at home and put on our blog and for this week, we were given the task to create some form of tentacle creature. It could be anything we wanted as long as it doesn't cross any boundaries and be 'cute' as well.

For this one, I have gone for a horror and sci-fi theme so below are my mood boards that helped me piece this together:



I went through many different things while looking through for some form of inspiration. A lot of things I looked at were alien looking and not actual sea creatures which is what most people would look at. For the main image, I drew inspiration from the serpent like creature on the top sheet known as Serris, a boss from the Metroid series. I took this and made it into a creature that looks like it has been long extinct and then drew some developmental stages like below:


 As I could not decide which one I enjoyed the look of the most, I began to work on all three of them and see which one would come out better, trying to keep to the tentacle feel as much as I can. These are only some of the creatures I have done. There is one more that looks like a 'mecha kraken' which is still unfinished. However below are the second drafts of the creatures above:




I personally like the second one the most because even though it looks like it can walk on its hind legs, it is only doing so as a threat. The creature itself is very much a sea creature that pulls its victims in with the tentacles on its back and abdomen and then devours them. In its third stage, it has evolved into something much like Godzilla but it still keeps that same premise of being a sea creature with tentacles for its weapons. As it is a first draft, I was thinking of changing the blackish parts coming off the body to blue to be the tentacles in the second draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment